Monday, July 21, 2008

Speak the language! WHAT LANGUAGE?!

Bumper sticker of the year:
'If you can read this, thank a teacher -and, since it's in English, thank a soldier'

I read this in an email a friend sent me, and I was extremely angry. What exactly are they implying? That the soldiers are here, as opposed to Iraq, securing the border. Or are they saying that instead of the US Government spending billions of dollars on a waste of a war they are actually putting that money to good use by coming up with a plan for the immigration delema? No wait, It must be that the soldiers are going around enforcing the English language. Yeah, I know, it all sounds pretty stupid doesn't it. So does the statement above though. I am actually for immigration. My Hell, how do you think we ended up here. Why is it that in our ignorance we suppose that we are entitled to... well anything just because we were born here? Why don't we all speak Navajo or Cherokee, oh yeah, because we put an end to that when we as immigrants came here, AND TOOK OVER!
When I was in high school I made the most ignorant comment ever. I said, "I don't mind if people come here from other countries but they need to speak the language!" WHAT LANGUAGE?! Thank heavens I had a wonderful teacher who taught me to love humanity and not shun that which is different.

No comments: